Donate your books and media to Friends! Each year we receive nearly a million donated books, which we in turn resell to the public through our Readers Bookstores and book sales. Your donation is tax-deductible and helps to provide critical support to the San Francisco Public Library.
Address: 1630 17th Street (between Carolina & Wisconsin)
Drop Off Hours: Monday - Friday, 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. & Saturdays 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Donation Center Info Line: (415) 522-8600
Please note that the Book Donation Center is closed during the follow holidays:
New Years Eve, New Years Day, MLK Day, Presidents Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Thanksgiving Day & day-after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve & Christmas Day.
BOOK DONATION INQUIRIES:
Richie Thomas, Donation Center Manager:
(415) 522-8606 or email@example.com.
WHAT WE ACCEPT:
In addition to books, we accept donations of media and assorted printed material, including:
- Audio CDs
- LPs (except classical, opera and showtunes)
- Books on CD and tape
- DVDs, Blu-ray discs
- Computer software and console games
- Text books
- Graphic Novels-Comic Books
WHAT WE DO NOT ACCEPT:
- Books that are damp or moldy
- General encyclopedias (World Book, Britannica, etc.)
- Legal statutes and casebooks
- Magazines (SCRAP SF takes donations of National Geographic and Smithsonian magazines)
- Loose CDs, DVDs, etc. without their cases
- Home-recorded (aka burned) CDs, DVDs, etc.
- VHS tapes
For a complete list of items we do not currently accept, please see below. Please contact us at (415) 522-8606 before dropping off more than 20 copies of the same book. All donations are tax-deductible.
- Art (especially Art Technique)
- San Francisco & California History
- Graphic Novels
- Ancient History
- Rock, Jazz and Blues LPs
- New Age / Occult
- Music history, biography and criticism
- Eastern Religion
- Travel Guides from the past four years
"WHAT HAPPENS TO MY BOOKS WHEN I DONATE THEM?"
Each year we receive nearly half a million donated books, which we in turn resell to the public through two bookstores and a number of book sales – including the Big Book Sale, the largest book sale on the west coast. All profits benefit the San Francisco Public Library and many books are donated to schools and other non-profit organizations. Notable books are offered to the special collections of the San Francisco Public Library.
Complete list of items we are not currently accepting:
- Books with significant underlining, highlighting, or notes
- Books that are musty, moldy or mildewed
- Books that smell of tobacco
- 78 rpm records
- CDs or DVDs without cases
- Classical, Opera, or Show Tune LPs
- VHS tapes
- Audio Cassettes
- Home-recorded (burned) or pirated CDs or DVDs
- Posters and framed artwork
- General encyclopedias (Britannica, World Book, etc.)
- Legal statutes, casebooks, and similar law library materials
- Ex-library teen and children's books
- High school text books
- Book Club Editions
- Individual sheet music
- Travel guides more than 5 years old
- Computer books published between 1990 and 2005
- Tax preparation guidebooks
- Test preparation guides
- Books published by the Heritage Press
- Books published by Readers Digest or Bottom Line
- Book published by Rodale Inc.
- Hardbound American Heritage
- The Compact OED (two larger volumes in slipcase with magnifying glass)
- The Will and Ariel Durant Series
- The Harvard Classics
- Hardbound Horizon Magazine
- Large dictionaries
- MHQ (Military History Quarterly)
- Romance novels
- The Great Books of the Western World series
- Any Time-Life series
- Zagat guides
- AAA guidebooks
- Cliffs Notes
Thank you for supporting Friends!